Monday 5 September 2011

Switzerland – Lake Zurich & Gi-mongous Spider

An enormous spider, looking slightly grotesque and out of place is the last thing I would ever imagine as part of any lake scenery. Least of all in Zurich. However, here it is!


Spider of Bürkliplatz

From Middle-Earth (bronze and steel), Shelob’s kinder sister chose not to go after Frodo Baggins but to tower over humans instead…

Back in the human world, I asked random Zurich-dweller-looking people passing by with prams about the grace which brought a giant spider this place of honour. One of them gave me this fantastic story… Once upon a time in medieval Zurich, everyone was afraid of the Black Death – today known as the bubonic plague – and they blamed the black spiders for carrying it! Now, I haven’t seen any spiders at all in Zurich. Indeed it is so clean I doubt that even a web of spider silk can be found anywhere at all. So maybe the medieval mass extermination of spiders must be the reason for this. Anyway, I digress… It was told me, as a wrap up of a charmingly woven story, that the giant Zurich Lake spider is a monument to those who died of the Black Death. Now that I've just sold this story to you guys, how many of you would be takers for it?

It actually turns out that the spider is called Maman, and Maman is on tour! Standing at 33 feet high with 26 marble eggs in her belly (for whoever can see it), it is a very well travelled spider and one of the most popular pieces of contemporary art the Homo sapiens have. I guess just as many people must have gone Woeeeuuuwwww….. Wow for the size and eeeuuuwwww….. for the turban-like spider body. Her creator of note is Louise Bourgeois who created the spider in honour of her mother… Wow! I’ll never look at my mom the same way again after this. And it turns out that I am lucky to cross this way on this day because Maman will be off again soon!

For anyone who is interested in a bit more Maman, here’s a link to the English translation of the German newspaper article: http://www.worldcrunch.com/giant-spider-weaves-its-way-around-world/3322

No comments:

Post a Comment